Depiction noun - A vivid representation in words of someone or something.
Usage example: the set piece of the novel is a depiction of the battle that makes readers feel like they were there
Show all Definitions
Synonyms for Depiction
Portrayal is a synonym for depiction in description topic. In some cases you can use "Portrayal" instead a noun "Depiction", when it comes to topics like picture, show, representation, depicting. popular alternative
Portrayal noun - A vivid representation in words of someone or something.
Usage example: his novel presents a moving portrayal of a woman searching for personal fulfillment and happiness
Show all Definitions
Synonyms for Portrayal
Depiction is a synonym for portrayal in description topic. You can use "Depiction" instead a noun "Portrayal", if it concerns topics such as show, representation, painting, characterization. popular alternative
- sketch and depiction
- sketch and portrayal
- image and depiction
- image and portrayal
- picture and depiction
- picture and portrayal
- account and depiction
- account and portrayal
- likeness and depiction
- likeness and portrayal
- description and depiction
- description and portrayal
- representation and depiction
- representation and portrayal
How words are described
|sympathetic||sympathetic depiction||sympathetic portrayal|
|good||good depiction||good portrayal|
|rare||rare depiction||rare portrayal|
|detailed||detailed depiction||detailed portrayal|
|Other adjectives: typical, usual, common, positive, standard, original, accurate, popular, traditional, general, negative, fictional, classic, graphic, cynical, realistic, comic, unrealistic, previous, modern, stereotypical, unflattering, iconic.|
Both words in one sentence
- Ironically, later movies move the portrayal of Skynet itself away from its earlier depiction as A.I.
Source: Robotic Psychopath
- Halsey is degraded, and the sentimental portrayal of the Spartans is bordering on being a Deconstruction of their earlier, more stoic (and chemically induced) depiction.
Source: Literature / Halo: Glasslands
- Griffith's 1919 silent film, the depiction of Chen Huan the Chinese missionary was played by Richard Barthelmess, a white actor, though the portrayal is positive, especially for the time.
Cite this Source
Portrayal and Depiction. (2016). Retrieved 2022, September 29, from https://thesaurus.plus/related/depiction/portrayal
Depiction & Portrayal. N.p., 2016. Web. 29 Sep. 2022. <https://thesaurus.plus/related/depiction/portrayal>.
Portrayal or Depiction. 2016. Accessed September 29, 2022. https://thesaurus.plus/related/depiction/portrayal.
Google Ngram Viewer shows how "depiction" and "portrayal" have occurred on timeline