Melancholy noun - A state or spell of low spirits.
Usage example: the bleakness of winter sometimes gives me cause for melancholy
Sadness is a synonym for melancholy in mental condition topic. In some cases you can use "Sadness" instead a noun "Melancholy", when it comes to topics like despondency, sorrow, grief, gloom. popular alternative
Sadness noun - A state or spell of low spirits.
Usage example: she was filled with sadness at the thought of having to leave her family
Melancholy is a synonym for sadness in unhappiness topic. You can use "Melancholy" instead a noun "Sadness", if it concerns topics such as mental condition, despondency, sorrow, gloom. popular alternative
- despondency and melancholy
- despondency and sadness
- dejection and melancholy
- dejection and sadness
- despair and melancholy
- despair and sadness
- sorrow and melancholy
- sorrow and sadness
- depression and melancholy
- depression and sadness
- grief and melancholy
- grief and sadness
- gloom and melancholy
- gloom and sadness
How words are described
Both words in one sentence
- Tropes used to evoke or convey sadness and melancholy.
Source: Sadness Tropes
- He's kind, honorable and well-intentioned, but with an aura of sadness and melancholy surrounding him.
Source: The Wise Prince
- The common strains running through her music are themes of deep sadness and melancholy, ennui, disenchantment and romanticised self-destructiveness or depression.
Source: Music / Lana Del Rey
Cite this Source
Sadness and Melancholy. (2016). Retrieved 2022, June 25, from https://thesaurus.plus/related/melancholy/sadness
Melancholy & Sadness. N.p., 2016. Web. 25 Jun. 2022. <https://thesaurus.plus/related/melancholy/sadness>.
Sadness or Melancholy. 2016. Accessed June 25, 2022. https://thesaurus.plus/related/melancholy/sadness.
Google Ngram Viewer shows how "melancholy" and "sadness" have occurred on timeline