Authority and Jurisdiction
Similar meaning words
Authority noun - Lawful control over the affairs of a political unit (as a nation).
Usage example: the sheriff had authority over the whole county
Show all Definitions
Synonyms for Authority
Antonyms for Authority
Jurisdiction is a synonym for authority in power topic. In some cases you can use "Jurisdiction" instead a noun "Authority", when it comes to topics like rule, prerogative, over. popular alternative
Nearby Words: authorize, authorise, authoritative, author, authorization
Jurisdiction noun - Lawful control over the affairs of a political unit (as a nation).
Usage example: the United States has no jurisdiction over Cuba
Show all Definitions
Synonyms for Jurisdiction
- power and authority
- power and jurisdiction
- management and authority
- management and jurisdiction
- control and authority
- control and jurisdiction
- administration and authority
- administration and jurisdiction
- right and authority
- right and jurisdiction
- influence and authority
- influence and jurisdiction
- command and authority
- command and jurisdiction
How words are described
|human||human authority||human jurisdiction|
|full||full authority||full jurisdiction|
|direct||direct authority||direct jurisdiction|
|legal||legal authority||legal jurisdiction|
|Other adjectives: proper, rightful, real, unlimited, little, personal, sole, national, federal, limited, military, imperial, primary, local.|
Both words in one sentence
- Something that can throw foreign visitors is that the individual state governments have a lot more authority and jurisdiction over their affairs than in most places.
Source: Divided States of America
- Repeatedly in The Water Phoenix King — justified in that one of the heroes is a lawyer, and the story largely hinges on questions of rightful authority and jurisdiction, which means Bureaucracy.
Source: Rules Lawyer
- In the pilot film for Due South, Constable Fraser mentions early on that due to legal complications (Canadian law enforcement officer working in Chicago, with no authority or jurisdiction in the city outside of the Canadian Consulate), he carries a sidearm, but no bullets.
Source: It Works Better with Bullets
Cite this Source
Jurisdiction and Authority. (2016). Retrieved 2023, March 27, from https://thesaurus.plus/related/authority/jurisdiction
Authority & Jurisdiction. N.p., 2016. Web. 27 Mar. 2023. <https://thesaurus.plus/related/authority/jurisdiction>.
Jurisdiction or Authority. 2016. Accessed March 27, 2023. https://thesaurus.plus/related/authority/jurisdiction.
Google Ngram Viewer shows how "authority" and "jurisdiction" have occurred on timeline